Are you fond of bulldogs? Are you interested in raising one? Or have you brought one home? Then this section will help you to raise it well. We are here to share with you some tips and techniques as a guide to maintain your dog.
Before starting with the guide of maintaining the bulldogs, you should know the origin and facts making it easier to handle them.
Origin of the Bulldog.
There was a sport in England known as bull baiting which is fighting a bull in the ring. The bulldog is basically developed for bull-baiting, in order to fight aggressively. The old bulldogs were bred in shorter weights and heights because then the bulls will find it hard to spot the dog in the ring and when it does the bull should be able to easily lift the bulldog to toss into the ring. And then the short bulldogs were bred and was spread to the United States and then they gained its popularity and is known as the top 15 popular dog breed.
Types of bulldog
They can be of two types as English Bulldog and French bulldog. The English bulldogs came at the first to compete in the bull-baiting. And then when this sport came to an end, the French dogs came into the origin which was developed in France.
They are strong dogs, short in size, having a weight of 50 to 70 pounds. They have flat-shaped faces. They are really tough-looking and soft-hearted inside. And are cute and suitable pet dogs. They are also used by farmers to drive cattle and protect the live stocks.
These dogs are smaller than the English bulldogs and weigh 28 to 30 pounds. They have pointy ears and small muzzles. The purpose of the French dogs is to be a good companion and to be a show dog. These dogs have shorter snouts and it makes them difficult to breathe, and so it is hard to take your bulldogs in airplanes, and especially swimming can be hard for them.
Tips to maintain bulldogs
These dogs are extremely friendly, and when they are exposed to be social from their early days, they will be able to manage with other dogs and animals. They can be defensive with some strangers with whom they don’t feel like being comfortable. They love children and will enjoy their presence. They have courage and are good at protecting their loved ones.
Bulldogs easily get exposed to health issues, where they get respiratory and joint issues. They are also prone to weight gain and other diseases. Improper care by the owners will make them easily get those issues, therefore it is compulsory to provide them with proper care.
Below are some tips to take care of your bulldog.
- The coat of the bulldog is fine and short. It needs to be brushed at least once a week to prevent from hair fall.
- The face of the bulldog should be kept clean and dry. Because the wrinkles and folds on the face and the neck is a place for the breeding of bacteria and it leads to irritation and infections. Therefore make sure to clean the face and neck regularly.
- Give him a daily or weekly brushing for the teeth to avoid dental issues and trim his nails once a month.
- They get overheat, therefore it should not be kept for a long time in the sun and warm spaces and provide them with shades and keep them under AC.
- Regular bath is recommendable.
Maintain weight and give proper training
- The bulldog doesn’t need much exercises because it will get tired after continuous 10 minutes play. But provide him with a daily walk by leading him in the front and give him some playful sessions to avoid weight gain.
- Give training at early days or it will be hard to control, and when you have to leave them at home the whole day, they can stay on their spot. Set fixed routines and goals to provide them those trainings and teach them the commands.
- Don’t be harsh to your dog by scolding and hitting instead give them treats and appreciate them to train and obey you. Remember to not give them too much of treats that will spoil them.
- Establish rules and make them stick to it and so they will act accordingly.
- Provide them food with combinations of nutrients with high digestible proteins and balanced fibers.
- Never let them eat whenever they want, because they will keep eating the whole day which is not good for them because of their small digestive system. So provide them two meals measured for a day.
- Provide them with plenty of water to avoid getting over heat.
Provide them with the proper collar
- The regular collars for dogs will not fit for the bull dogs because they can cause physical harm since their body type is unique. And this will be easy for you to take them to walks.
Keep your dog healthy and it will be the best pet dog for you to enjoy.
Follow us on Facebook.